The Year Ahead | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Brian
Brian Apr 12 '18
I plan to move back to Virginia later on this year, this means that it will be much more realistic for me to go around the different stores in Virginia. I’d like to get everyone to put in some time to get new players involved both in the game, as well as tournaments. When I first started playing Flames of War there was a tournament every month or two in Virginia. Between all the stores we have we don’t see many new players converting over to tournaments, or from what I hear, even playing in the store. I’m not saying this as a Battlefront employee, but as a gamer, specifically one who enjoys playing different people with different armies on different tables. After all, I won’t be at Battlefront forever, but I hope to keep the game going strong locally as long as humanly possible. With me in Northern VA, Ed in central, and you guys in the South, we should be able to churn out new players like nobody’s business. 
Ian Birdwell
Ian Birdwell Apr 12 '18
I definitely think growing the community can only be a good thing for us as a whole, and I think we've been doing some good work in that regard but we can definitely do more. I've been thinking about laying the foundation for another summer escalation league or potentially running another kind of campaign which could be a good thing for drawing in fresh blood. 
Pete Desnoyers
Pete Desnoyers Apr 13 '18
We also may want to consider scheduling tournaments for the year ahead. Obviously, in cooperation with Atlantis, Mike and company. I think once a month or there about. In this way, we can all plan and have the time slot penciled in so to speak.  Just spit balling here...
Bill White
Bill White Apr 13 '18
I don’t really see once a month being feasible with the store’s schedule. Lately we’re having trouble with our friendly games on Sunday with the store’s schedule. They try and cover a lot of gaming systems. I think we’re lucky to get the few we get.
Bill White
Bill White Apr 13 '18
1000 pt 4x4 game tournaments would be easier to pull off. Takes less space, games go quicker, and faster/cheaper to assemble 1000 point army.
Bill White
Bill White Apr 13 '18
45 point TY would be better for attracting new players as TY seems to attract new players better than FOW.
Ian Birdwell
Ian Birdwell Apr 13 '18
I think planning into next year would be helpful. The big hurdle for us as far as my previous conversations with Mike and Allison were is their scheduling of card events for the evening on Saturday. Potentially planning it out could mitigate it. 

I do like the idea of running a series of "blitz" style events at lower points as well. It will certainly help things move quickly.

Brian
Brian Apr 13 '18
Quote from Bill White I don’t really see once a month being feasible with the store’s schedule. Lately we’re having trouble with our friendly games on Sunday with the store’s schedule. They try and cover a lot of gaming systems. I think we’re lucky to get the few we get.
Bill, I’m not saying once a month at your store. I’m saying once a month between all of the stores in VA. 
Bill White
Bill White Apr 15 '18
Sorry, I got confused with Pete’s post. I caught the tail end of the once a month before the game vault owner retired. 

Your hobby place seems to be pretty easy to work with and accommodating. The new store does so far. Between the three stores it’s doable.

I think we have the biggest local group at the moment. The Game Tavern I think has a bigger base and will have bigger future tournaments. It’s just a question of who’s willing to travel. 

This year has been pretty good so far. We had the back to backs in February, Cold Wars in March, this one in April, ours in May, June’s kind of open but then the big one, Historicon, in July. Historicon for me is worth the drive to The Host.

World War II Photos