D-Day Anniversary Game | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Ian Birdwell
Ian Birdwell May 24 '16
With the anniversary of D-Day quickly approaching what would we all like to do to commemorate the event? I know Austin and I had discussed going through and playing several games which could effect each other (though I'm not quite sure where to start with a system like that). I also have been tossing around the idea of doing a few games as different sections of beaches to recreate the invasion. 

I was just hoping to get the ball rolling on the event now instead of playing it by ear! 

Jeff Shue
Jeff Shue May 24 '16

Looking on the Battle Front site they have a couple of options:  (no particular order)

1. There is a Firestorm: Overlord game described at http://www.flamesofwar.com/...95&kb_cat_id=102 Phase 1 covers the landings.  I've never done  Firestorm campaign so I don't know how hard it would be.

2. There is a couple of Axis of Attack campaigns at http://www.flamesofwar.com/...57&kb_cat_id=102

Which are probably smaller than the Firestorm one.

3. There is the Normandy Battles book that has scenarios.  I've seen it at Atlantis.  Not sure if they still have it.

The Forum post is edited by Jeff Shue May 24 '16
John Birdwell
John Birdwell May 25 '16

I don't think that any of us have enough bunkers and pillboxes to play fortified. For this weekend we could do a 1420 list out of either Overlord or Atlantik Wall and when we meet at Atlantis everyone switch lists and play someone else's list. It could be fun.

James Copeland
James Copeland May 27 '16
I think John just wants to play with my Tetrarchs :)
John Birdwell
John Birdwell May 27 '16
while I would shoot up someones tanks, I really just want to game.
James Copeland
James Copeland May 27 '16

Okay, here is my idea for a D-Day game.

If you have terrien bring it, I want to set up three tables, A beach landing site, an Airborne map, and a heavy bocage map representing much further in the mainland France.

I have the set up for these maps and how they play into each other. I will need some things from people though

1. 2-3 Pillboxes. I plan on buying one, so if anyone else has any. Let me know.

2. As much bocage, or hedge rows as you own.

3. Buildings, lots of them!!!!

4. the map as its built calls for thusly.
        Beach Head Map..... Axis 1000 pt.  Allies..... 1500
        Airborne Map. Axis 1250 pt. Allies. 1650 (Yes we will be doing an Airborne Landing)

Bocage map Axis 1500 pt. Allies 1500. ( this is a free for all map, with platoons all coming on table randomly.)

All maps effect the others, and at the end of each turn the commanders rally to decide objectives met and so forth.

I would need to know what everyone wants to play so we can adjust as needed.... if everyone wants to do airborne, then we can ditch the bocage... etc...

This is my thoughts for a game on June 5th.  Thoughts?? Ideas??

Jeff Shue
Jeff Shue May 27 '16

I've got a couple of pillboxes and MG nests.  I got some casting material today so I'm going to try and make a few more.  I'm also going to try to make some entrenchments/minefields/barb wire from the hard board I cut up.  I'll see how much I can get done with the time I have.

Jeff Shue
Jeff Shue May 27 '16
I think we should shoot for the 5th too.
John Birdwell
John Birdwell May 28 '16

We have a few HMG Bunkers and some barbed wire. So count at least me in. I think the point levels are off. They should be equal due to the way the game is set up. Any time we try to play a game with several people and the players put most of the attackers army on just one player it becomes unbalanced. So the games need to be equal.

Besides most of the games the defender starts with only half their army on board.

James Copeland
James Copeland May 28 '16
Sorry John the point take into account the Axis having bunkers in addition to their armys.. I thought I had made that a tad more clear. and the Airbourne game BAttlefront suggests to give an edge to. (trust me they die in the landing.. a lot.
John Birdwell
John Birdwell May 28 '16

so we are doing this next weekend? If so sounds good to me! Now Austin, bring your tanks tomorrow and we can do a rerun on last weekends battle! I will bring either my PanzerSpa company or my Panzer Lehr Panzer company! See which one works!

Brian
Brian May 28 '16
If anyone has an interest in it I have two resin cast bunkers that are fairly plain looking. I have no intention of using them as they are too static for my taste and no one up here is really interested in playing a beach landing. 
John Birdwell
John Birdwell May 28 '16
Yes Brian I would be interested in them. Can you post a picture of them? While I have the gun barrel of the Graf Spee battery, I need a bunker to put it in! LOL! Then I will have some really heavy metal on call!
Jeff Shue
Jeff Shue May 29 '16

I've got just got 6 bunkers made so that brings me to 8. Should be sufficient.  I only have 2 MG nests.  I'll be working on minefields/barbed wire/entrenchments next.

Picked up Normandy Battles today.  Haven't looked at it too closely yet though.

Ian Birdwell
Ian Birdwell May 29 '16
Well I suppose now we just need to sit down and figure out attendance/who will play on which table 
Jeff Shue
Jeff Shue May 30 '16
Looking at the Atlantic Wall book, the beach fortified companies have anti-tank pillboxes.  The bunkers I've made are the MG variety.  Anyone have the AT ones?
Arrick
Arrick May 31 '16
I'm off that day, but with D-day there were no Russians... Guess I'll balance out one side or the other, whichever needs the extra warm body lol
James Copeland
James Copeland May 31 '16
Actually.... for the 3rd table... I would love to have a lot of Russians... representing  the front with Germany. I want the German command to decided where they want there troops, bring every Russian you have peeps.

I do need to Know how many people are playing so I can split up the forces though.

Please let me know what lead you want to push.

Russian Front : Russian and Axis player (s)
Airbourne: American, UK and German
D-Day America/UK/Canada and German

the way this game plays is the side as a whole determines where they will push forces to obtain VP, each table supports the other, and at the end of each turn the High command from each side can send forces from one table to the next, the VP are double sided, each helps or degrades the enemy. For example.

A Russian Platoon overruns a weapons depot form the Germans, this in turn removes a Weapons platoon from the Airborne Table which enables them to overrun an objective, clearing a bunker from the D-day field.

Conversely the German command holds D-day objectives so well they are able to send a infantry platoon to the rear, this platoon was vital in pushing the red devils back and recapturing a communications objective. The message is relayed to Berlin that the invasion has failed, and Berlin releases a Platoon of the new TIGER II to the western front.

All objectives are secret to both sides, and will be randomized, so even I don't know which one is which. Some objectives will bring whole new platoons onto the table, or remove them. some will remove fortification, some will add them.

And as I said before, the table while separate are connected, and troops can go in-between tables.

If this sound complicated, it really isn't, and once its explained in person it will make sense. This is a really fun way to tie many games together, where the winner and loser is decided not by some unlucky dice, but by a plan to win. maybe you make it harder for you to get your main objective, but by sacrificing a platoon to another table you ensure D-day is won or lost.

I am calling today to reserve the tables,please let me know which side you want to play on. we can play lop sided, but as even as possible would be preferred.

Remember, we are playing by BF rules for both the Sea landing and the Airbourne launch, if you have never seen how bloody those are, well bring a camera... you will see why no one does them lol.
Ian Birdwell
Ian Birdwell May 31 '16
I'm down to fight them on the beaches, I've been itching to play CT scots for a while if I'm honest. 
John Birdwell
John Birdwell May 31 '16
Great! Looks like all three of us have it off and should be able to play! I will bring my 1000, 1250 and 1500 lists with and without FJ!
Pages: 1 2 »

World War II Photos