Tournaments | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Brian
Brian Jul 26 '16
Gamers of Norfolk, I am hosting several tournaments this year, and I will post here whenever I announce one. But to gauge interest, and give as much advance notice as possible so as to get as many players as possible I ask these question. Assuming that the tournament is held in January of 2017:

#1 What point level would you like to see?

#2 Open or themed?

#3 Further suggestions welcome
John Birdwell
John Birdwell Jul 26 '16

I would say either Mid War or Early War. Less books to look through for lists and a better balanced force for all sides. And for point level, I would say around 1500. And Opened that way forces from all fronts can play!

And a balanced list of PDFs and books by you for all forces. And no named characters. That way no one has anything special but regular forces. Also you need to list what Mid War monster tanks can be used if at all.

Possible later next year maybe a Team Yankee Game! By then some of us should have our forces and have them painted.  

Brian
Brian Jul 26 '16
Quote from John Birdwell

I would say either Mid War or Early War. Less books to look through for lists and a better balanced force for all sides. And for point level, I would say around 1500. And Opened that way forces from all fronts can play!

And a balanced list of PDFs and books by you for all forces. And no named characters. That way no one has anything special but regular forces. Also you need to list what Mid War monster tanks can be used if at all.

Possible later next year maybe a Team Yankee Game! By then some of us should have our forces and have them painted.  

I actually plan to do a Team Yankee tournament towards the end of the year. More information will come. 
Jeff Shue
Jeff Shue Jul 28 '16
I wouldn't mind a LW tourney.  Since it would be January we could do a Battle of the Bulge theme.  Open it up to the Russian with Red Bear.  For points I'd say whatever the Battle Front folks put out for the 2017 LW tournament points or 1420 like this year.   Don't think we should do early war since that would cut out the Americans.
Brian
Brian Jul 29 '16
Quote from Jeff Shue I wouldn't mind a LW tourney.  Since it would be January we could do a Battle of the Bulge theme.  Open it up to the Russian with Red Bear.  For points I'd say whatever the Battle Front folks put out for the 2017 LW tournament points or 1420 like this year.   Don't think we should do early war since that would cut out the Americans.
That would leave out Brits, Finns, Hungarians, Canadians, French, Japanese, Italians, Greeks, Brazilians, etc. 
Challis Miles
Challis Miles Jul 29 '16
Personally, I think the points cap should follow whatever is set by BF. I think all official BF PDF lists, characters, etc should be available for use.
I also think themed tournaments are better for two reasons. 1, it gives all players an idea of what to expect they'll be up against because of the limited number of books (that way you can optimize your list and avoid spending points on unnecessary assets), and 2, it forces people to adapt their lists or create new ones, break up the meta, think outside the box and find new tactics (instead of people playing the same army the same way, no different than playing on Sunday). The Era doesn't make much difference to me.
Also, I think the missions should be announced ahead of time., ie Round 1 fair fight, Round 2 hold the line, etc. Again, it helps for preparation. A tournament is no time for the random mission generator.
It may also be fun to do a doubles tournament? Just my thoughts. 
Russell Crouch
Russell Crouch Jul 29 '16
I am new to tournaments but I would like to participate in a doubles tournament to try something new. Also a Mid-War or Late-War tournament would be agreeable. Just my input. 
Brian
Brian Jul 30 '16
Quote from Russell Crouch I am new to tournaments but I would like to participate in a doubles tournament to try something new. Also a Mid-War or Late-War tournament would be agreeable. Just my input. 
I'm not opposed to running a doubles tournament, but it isn't worth the time unless you get at least 20 people. Otherwise you might find yourself playing the same team twice. 
Russell Crouch
Russell Crouch Jul 30 '16
Okay I didn't know it took so many people, but it was just a suggestion.
Brian
Brian Jul 31 '16
Quote from Russell Crouch Okay I didn't know it took so many people, but it was just a suggestion.
I do plan to do a doubles tournament but it will be in a central location that is a reasonable distance for the guys in Maryland and Virginia. 
Russell Crouch
Russell Crouch Jul 31 '16
Alright sounds good.

World War II Photos